Saturday, February 14, 2009

Freedom to Marry

On Thursday morning I got a call. Are you coming to the "protest" today...uhmmmm no. Two minutes later my answer was yes. So I spent the next hour googling information I should have known. Such as this was the 12th annual Freedom to Marry Week. 12yrs people!

Not that the information in various emails hadn't been thrown my way its just my apathetic nature to glance and move on. Almost the same way I read the religious and "you go girl" email blasts.

So I start to get excited and calling other friends to see if they are going to participate at the courthouse. I got the uhmmmmmm no but it wasn't followed by a yes two minutes later. Left work early to change clothes due to the media possibly being there and me going to work barely matching.

Arrive and its a small group but hey this is Jacksonville and I'm surprised to even see two people show. We go thru security and head into the courthouse where we are told politely that we can't fill out an application for a marriage license but we can take pictures in the gazebo. So we do...lol You know us lesbo's, every occasion is a good picture taking moment.

It was a quick hour out of my day that turned into the highlight of my week internally. Just so you know I personally don't want to get married anytime soon or even think marriage is for me but the idea that I "can't" pisses off the "human" in me.

Next year I'll be there and I promise to bring at least one more person with me...and every year after til our human rights are recognized, I will be there.

Freedom To Marry

No comments:

Post a Comment